As of spring 2023 the allocation of students to MA seminars at the Department of Economics will be done through the new module booking tool. If there is a shortage of seats, we will give preference to students that are majoring in Economics and have not yet attended a seminar and are already far in their studies. Please note that we cannot guarantee a spot.
Please note: there is no first come first served allocation. So you may apply at any time whithin the whole request period and have the same chances to get allocated.
There is no limitation on how many seminars you can submit a request for. However, please only apply for seminars you would actually attend if you get allocated. You will not get a higher priority in your preferred seminar just because you applied for several seminars.
How to find an Economics seminar:
- Open the online course catalogue via this link: list of ECON modules spring 23
- Click group (top right, near the search field) -> select category
- Scroll down to see the list of seminars
Alternatively, you can:
- Open the online course catalogue: https://studentservices.uzh.ch
- Go to "Search"
- Enter "22MO" for seminars on the Master’s level in the search field on top of the page ("Search for Title, Short, Description"). You'll see a list of all courses, if you set the category to "seminars" you'll see all seminars.
Please note, that the central allocation only applies to seminars offered by the Department of Economics. In spring 23, these are:
- Big Data Methods for Economists (S) (22MO0163)
- History of Business Cycle Theory seminar (S) (22MO0164)
- Topics in Time Series Analysis (S) (22MO0167)
- Behavioral Insights for Policy Design (S) (22MO0182)
- Risk Preferences (S) (22MO0183)
- Labor Markets and Firms in Developing Countries (S) (22MO0185)
- Research Frontiers in Economic History (S) (22MO0158)
Distributive justice, fairness views, and redistributive policies (S) (22MO0186)
How to apply
- Request a spot in the new module booking tool. Instructions and a video can be found here: https://www.zi.uzh.ch/en/support/geschaeftsapplikationen/sapplus/bookingmodules.html
- In the field "Notes" it is required to add the following information:
List all the Economics MA seminars (ranked by priority) for which you have submitted a request. You can use the same text for each request.
Is this your first Economics seminar booking (indicate with a “Yes”) or have you already successfully completed another economics seminar (indicate with a “No”)? Any other important information, e.g. the urgency of seminar credits needed, can be noted as well.
- Upload supporting documents (if requested and specified in the course description).
- After the request period is over we will allocate the seminar spots by Do 16.02.2023 24:00 the latest.
- If you have been allocated to the seminar then the next step would be to join the kick-off meeting in the first week and decide if you keep your seat.
- If you have been allocated to the waiting list it is absolutely necessary that you join the kick-off meeting of the seminar in the first week in case you plan to accept the spot (provided that someone else cancels and thus a spot became available to you).
Deadlines module booking spring 23 (for seminars only)
Request period: from Wednesday 18.01.2023 10:00 to Wednesday 01.02.2023 24:00
Place allocation at the latest: Thursday 16.02.2023 24:00
Waiting list progression period: Sunday 12.02.2023 00:00 to Friday 24.02.2023 24:00
Cancellation period: Sunday 12.02.2023 00:00 to Monday 27.02.2023 24:00